[Coral-List] coral reef restoration

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 13:37:40 UTC 2021

We all very much want to restore coral reefs. We want torestore them in every place where they currently exist and trying to maintainthat existence, and where they have recently existed. It would be wonderful ifwe could do that, but at this point that can’t be done. However, we have donesome great things in last few decades toward making restoration possible. Wehave learned how to cultivate many species of corals in various areas of theworld. We have learned how to find, select, and propagate genotypes of coralsresilient to destructive changes on coral reefs and have begun efforts toreplace these genotypes on dying coral reefs. We have studied the role ofsymbiotic algae essential to the life of corals, propagated these essentialsymbionts and are finding ways to use them to enhance coral propagation. Wehave been able, at least up to this point, to keep a number of coral species inexistence and even to replace them on our dying reefs with some short-termsurvival success. Note that successful establishment of corals on the remnantsof coral reefs should be measured in decades and not just years, but years area measure of some initial success.

We are in the process of learning how to controlenvironmental conditions in captive aquatic environments that stimulate coralsto spawn in captivity and then rear these corals through the larval,settlement, and early juvenile existence. Interestingly, we have found that thepresence of juvenile sea urchins apparently enhances the early survival ofjuvenile corals. And over the last three decades we have learned on a large butamateur hobbyist basis how to maintain and grow corals in small aquariumsystems. For the Caribbean, Florida and the Bahamas, where the function of herbivoryprimarily accomplished by Diadema sea urchins was essential to the healthand growth of coral reefs for eons, right up to 1984, it is now possible tospawn on demand and rear Diadema sea urchins in large numbers. TheFlorida Aquarium Center For Conservation is now developing this capability. Thus,the capability of returning the function of herbivory to the coral reefs of thisgreat area is now conceivable.

But this is not nearly enough. Corals are only one of thekeystone species that make up the ecosystems of coral reefs. It is the coralreef ecosystems that must be restored on a permanent basis before coral reefscan once again flourish in tropical waters of planet Earth. We may not be ableto do this. If we cannot accomplish this, then we probably also won’t be ableto restore and preserve the terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of our planet ina way that will provide for the continued civil and technical advancement ofhumanity. There are huge and difficult tasks ahead of us in order for us to restoreand maintain healthy ecosystems.

Some of us have no clue as to the severity of the problem,some of us, like the little train engine that could, are valiantly pushinghumanity up the hill of attaining ecosystem repair and stability witheverything possible to us at this time; and some of us see no hope, have thrownin the towel and see no pathway to the possibility that humanity can repairitself and its environment. I lean in that direction. But for the sake of our future,we must try to fix the environment without entertaining the possibility of failure.The first airplane was invented in 1903, a little less than 100 years ago… andnow we not only fill Earth’s atmosphere with aircraft beyond number, but wehave also walked on the moon and flown a miniature helicopter (with the capabilityof retrieving it) on the planet Mars. Are our marine environments of any lessvalue to humanity than exploration of environments beyond our Earth?

The most important task that we absolutely must accomplish,even before we figure out how to limit the growth of human populations on ourplanet, is to remove, somehow, someway, the incredible and increasing quantityand composition of chemical waste in fresh waters, marine waters, andterrestrial environments. This includes not only fossil fuel emissions but alsopollutants generated from agriculture, and physical and liquid waste discharge.This is not new news, far from it, but I mention it because it is afoundational issue. Without the reduction/removal/control of the waste thathumanity produces, other efforts at ecosystem protection are moot. And not onlydo we not know what chemicals are present at what concentrations at various timein our marine environments; we do not know what effects many of these chemicalsmay have on planktonic and larval forms of marine life.

When it comes to coral reefs…. we must assume thatrestoration of coral reef ecosystems to any shadow of what existed in the earlyyears of the 19th century before humanity is capable of marine ecosystemcontrol just isn’t going to happen by itself. But there are two things that canbe done, and that have a chance of aiding the preservation and potentialrestoration of coral reefs. To be effective in the future, it is the entire ecosystemthat supports coral reefs that must be preserved as best as is possible. Whatdo you think the chances are that within the next 30 years that humanity willhave repaired the marine ecosystems that can establish and support coral reefsthat resemble those of, say, 1960, although 1860 would be much better? Wouldthat be an 80% chance, or 50%? Maybe only 20%, possibly 10%, or less? Maybe inthe next 100 years coral reefs will again shelter shorelines from storms and beonce again wonderous environments created and maintained by marine organisms ina functional marine ecosystem.

Spreading coral fragments over large areas and hoping forecosystem restoration is commendable but without ecosystem repair, this hasquestionable chances for long term success. This is not to say that this shouldnot be done. Small success can become great success and we will learn muchabout repair of coral reefs from this activity. However, we would also learn agreat deal about coral reef restoration through another approach developedsimultaneously. There would be two interactive parts to this initiative.

We have established areas, National Sanctuaries, where coralreefs are protected from exploitation, and that is very good, but we can takethis a step further.  We could selectsmaller areas of decaying coral reefs that can be established as “coral reefeducational and experimental preserves” where the object is not onlyreplacement of basic coral species but also includes reestablishment and monitoringof functional coral reef keystone species including herbivores, certain algasuch as coralline algae, some sponges, some crabs, even some reef fish, andother organisms that are functional in coral reef ecosystems. These preserveswould be cooperatively maintained and operated by governmental and educational institutions.The difference between these and existing sanctuaries would be the intensive,continued, and fully fiscally supported permanent activity aimed at ecosystem researchand restoration contained in a manageable and well-defined area.

The second arm of such a project would be the establishmentof a totally controlled, relatively large establishment of a land-based endeavorthat would strive to create a section of coral reef ecosystem based on creationof a controlled coral reef ecosystem where control of chemical, physical, andbiological elements, rather than artistic and display essentials are prioritized.This would create not only a fully controllable marine reef environment, but alsoa “bank” of coral reef organisms that could preserve certain species that are criticallyendangered in the wild for live preservation and active research independent ofthe vagaries and environmental hazards that plague our existing and endangered coralreefs.

Pie in the sky? Incredibly expensive? Questionably possible?Technically unknown and uncertain?

Worth creating even if the “writing on the wall” on thefuture of coral reefs seems inevitable?  Inmy opinion, Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Martin Moe