[Coral-List] Dendrogyra and why we aren't saving the reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 8 17:39:55 UTC 2021

“But the reason you may not hear a lot of us discussing it (over-population) is that it’s beyond our expertise to recommend ways to deal with it”.

I’ve heard that reasoning used before. I have been told on more than one occasion by coral scientists that the reason they don’t talk publicly about climate change is that they are not climatologists and it is beyond their area of expertise! Interestingly, thirty years ago the renowned climatologist Stephen Schneider proposed “The Genesis Strategy” in an attempt to provide a pathway for dealing with both population growth and its impacts on climate change and as far as I know he was not a demographer.

Which brings me back to chasing my tail. The coral science community is simply NOT speaking with one voice and not making it clear to the public at large what needs to be done to save, conserve or protect coral reefs. So, I’m wondering if they have simply moved on. Which leaves me with a question that I would like to pose to you and other listers.

Do you suppose that the reason coral scientists are not primarily focused on climate change, LBSP and other stressors (including over-population) is that they have concluded that it is already game over?

If population and consumption is simply beyond our control is technology (including newly developed restorative techniques involving genetic engineering) now considered to be the only tenable way forward?

Regards,

Steve Mussman