[Coral-List] New database collecting information and current state of play on cultured marine fungi

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 11:56:37 UTC 2021

Dear Coral List

During lock down, I initiated a collaborative effort to catalogue and assess the cultural fraction of coral associated bacteria. This resulted in a paper soon to be coming out in msystems see preprint here https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-105866/v1_stamped.pdf

It was a fun experience to work with a number of new collaborators and hopefully produced a paper which will be utilised by many researchers in the future.

I’d now like to start work on a new project of a similar ilk – this time we are focusing on marine fungi. Initially I started to think just about those cultured form marine inverts but quickly was persuaded to include marine plants as well. I’m particularly interested in comparing and contrasting the marine fungi to their terrestrial relatives but we also have an applied angle where we work on coral probiotics and we are moving in this direction to test the roles of fungi in the coral metaorganism so this would be a solid jumping off point re what can be cultured and what species would be interesting candidates to work with.

So that’s my plan, my angle and it would be great if you all wanted to be involved.

We are looking for fungi which have at least a part of the sequence available but this does not have to be published yet. We will conduct a larger meta analysis of what has already been published but if you have cultures you are working on now and happy to share these, this is perfect.

I’ve created a meta data spread sheet, to start gathering the information, once we’ve gone as far as we think we can, i’ll start to run some prelim analysis and we will see what gets churned out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sgkB2dBZu6BdBqfTruCOaRe9nkKGs_tPkeznFhO7Q5s/edit#gid=1139607657

Please pass on this email and google doc to anyone/everyone you think may be interested – the more the merrier in my book and I look forward to working with some of you hopefully

Regards

Dr Michael Sweet

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/