[Coral-List] Richard Randall's 30,000 coral specimen repository

Charles Birkeland charlesb at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 11 01:32:48 UTC 2021

*Biorepository at UOG receives 30,000-specimen coral collection *

A biorepository of Micronesian marine specimens at the University of Guam
Marine Laboratory is welcoming its largest addition yet — a private
collection of around 30,000 coral specimens from Richard Randall, a UOG
professor emeritus of marine biology.

The facility — the Guam Ecosystems Collaboratorium for Corals and Oceans
(GECCO) Biorepository
<https://guamepscor.uog.edu/guam-ecosystems-collaboratorium-biorepository-2/>
— is
both a physical and cyber warehouse of records and images that is operated
by the Guam EPSCoR <https://guamepscor.uog.edu/> program, which is funded
by the National Science Foundation.

Randall’s collection includes specimens from Guam and throughout the
Pacific and reflects the 56 years he spent at the UOG Marine Laboratory
researching coral reef biology and geology.

“It’s an impressive collection that’s really important for us to take care
of and share with the world and try to use it to provide an impetus for
collaborative research,” said David Burdick, the biorepository’s
collections manager.

During the late 1960s, Randall witnessed the first crown-of-thorns starfish
outbreak in Guam and managed to retrieve a few coral samples before they
were eaten. He claims some of the specimens in his collection may be new
species, and others may no longer exist.

“In some cases, if he’s described a new species, we’d have to publish in a
book or a journal about it [to officially establish it as a new species],”
Burdick said. “I feel like we’re always trying to play catch-up trying to
understand more about these organisms before we lose some of them.”

Randall took meticulous field notes about each of the specimens, Burdick
said.

“He recorded an unusual amount of data, like where it was living, its name,
and how much light it was exposed to, and how that may have influenced its
shape. That information can help us understand their habitat requirements
and discern between similar species,” Burdick said.

So far, the facility has received less than one-tenth of the collection,
and it may take years to catalog each item and upload them to the GECCO
Biorepository’s online database.

“Right now, we’re going through all of the coral specimens and cataloging
the ones we have,” said Kelsie Ebeling-Whited, the biorepository’s
technician. “We log the specimen number, the note number, its species and
family. We want that all in a database so that we know what corals we have
[in Guam and the region].”

Once the collection has been processed, it will serve as a resource for
researchers around the world to reference and better understand the
diversity of the corals found in the Pacific. The collection will also be
accessible to the public as it’s added to the biorepository’s online
database at https://specifyportal.uog.edu/.

*For more information, contact:*
Amanda Dedicatoria
Science Communicator