[Coral-List] Stony coral tissue loss disease news article

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:38:45 UTC 2021

My understanding is that the worry is that this disease may have been
transmitted around the Caribbean by ballast water.  If so, then it would be
easy for it to be taken in ballast water through the Panama canal by a
ship, into the Pacific.  The US has regulations on ballast water exchanges,
it has to be done well away from the coast.  I don't know about other
countries, and I imagine that enforcement may be difficult.  But I have no
expertise in that area.
     I only know of one very small case of a coral being moved from the
West Atlantic into the Pacific, that was a research project, and it was a
few skeletons that were presumed dead that were moved, and somehow some
live tissue survived and recovered.  So while not impossible, it seems
highly unlikely that would be a route for the disease to reach the
Pacific.  But there are no guarantees, and we get surprised by things
frequently these days.
   Cheers, Doug