[Coral-List] Turbid coral reefs review paper

adi zweifler adizweifler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 02:00:55 UTC 2021

Hello All,

I’d like to share with you our new paper:

“Turbid Coral Reefs: Past, Present and Future—A Review”

https://www.mdpi.com/1141246:

Abstract: Increasing evidence suggests that coral reefs exposed to elevated
turbidity may be more resilient to climate change impacts and serve as an
important conservation hotspot. However, logistical difficulties in
studying turbid environments have led to poor representation of these reef
types within the scientific literature, with studies using different
methods and definitions to characterize turbid reefs. Here we review the
geological origins and growth histories of turbid reefs from the Holocene
(past), their current ecological and environmental states (present), and
their potential responses and resilience to increasing local and global
pressures (future). We classify turbid reefs using new descriptors based on
their turbidity regime (persistent, fluctuating, transitional) and sources
of sediment input (natural versus anthropogenic). Further, by comparing the
composition, function and resilience of two of the most studied turbid
reefs, Paluma Shoals Reef Complex, Australia (natural turbidity) and
Singapore reefs (anthropogenic turbidity), we found them to be two distinct
types of turbid reefs with different conservation status. As the geographic
range of turbid reefs is expected to increase due to local and global
stressors, improving our understanding of their responses to environmental
change will be central to global coral reef conservation efforts.

Kind regards,

Adi

*Adi Zweifler (Zvifler)*

*PhD Candidate *

*School of Earth Sciences* •  *University of Western Australia*

Perth, WA 6009, Australia

Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre (IOMRC)

*T *+61 422803027  •  *E **adi.zvifler at research.uwa.edu.au
<adi.zvifler at research.uwa.edu.au>*

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4953-7517

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=TFHtpg8AAAAJ&hl=en