[Coral-List] Toth et al 2021

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 15:08:07 UTC 2021

Hi Mark,

I think both you and Doug make some good points although I wouldn’t describe those Goliath groupers as huge (I actually thought they were large Nassau groupers myself). Still, we are fortunate to have them in Florida waters, but that’s likely only because Goliaths have been protected for some time although every year it has been a battle to keep them from being harvested. Anyway, I’d say there was a lot of interesting life in that video just not much in the way of healthy corals.

My follow up question to you is this: If the conclusions reached in the paper that John Bruno referenced are accurate, how might that affect future prospects for all the various marine life we did get to see in that video?

Thanks and warm regards,

Steve