[Coral-List] Parachute Science and how we work/engage

martina m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com
Thu Jun 24 09:25:18 UTC 2021

Hi Contessa,

the largest EU research programme (previously Horizon 2020, current one
is Horizon Europe) has a mandatory ethics list to check and complete in
order to finalise the submission of proposals. Among the various items,
one section refers to doing research in "third Countries" (= countries
that are neither EU Member States nor Associated Countries) and asks
for: specifics about using local resources (from genetic materials to
historical materials); importing/exchanging materials or personal data;
planning for benefit-sharing actions in case of low and lower middle
income countries. Another item, focused on "Environment and safety",
asks whether the research will include endangered flora/fauna and/or
protected areas.

While none of the above is specifically designed to avoid parachute
science, this list is a first step to define some basic actions that
have to be taken in order to be funded (after proposals are selected
based on merit). For instance, asking for authorisations for work in
MPAs in developing countries puts black on white that researchers need
to establish a communication channel with local authorities (and
hopefully communities) and/or enter into negotiations with them about
rules/collaborations etc.

Such items are not just a one-time box to tick - if the proposal is
funded and the project starts, periodic deliverables to allow monitoring
of ethics are also required (e.g. renewed authorisations).

Finally, over the last decade or so, this funding programme has boosted
a number of cross-cutting themes that should be included in the research
plan irrespective of the specific text of the call for proposals. RRI (=
Responsible Research and Innovation) is one of such themes, which are
also considered at the evaluation stage.

I must admit I still have to check how this applies in the new programme
(Horizon Europe), but I'm sure it won't be modified much unless to
strengthen it.

Cheers!
Martina

Dr Martina Milanese, PhD

skype: m.milanese
https://it.linkedin.com/in/martina-milanese-46963436
twitter: @martix_m

Italian Mob. (WA) +39-338-1196672
Moroccan Mob. +212-636808514

Studio Associato Gaia Snc dei Dottori Antonio Sarà e Martina Milanese
Piazza della Vittoria
15/23 Genova 16121
PI 01600400996