[Coral-List] Please post our upcoming REEF BUILDING WORKSHOP

Phanor Hernando Montoya Maya phmontoyamaya at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:02:21 UTC 2021

Dear Nohora, rrreefs team and coral-listers,

Thank you very much for allowing me to bring up the latest news from
Colombia on coral reef conservation and restoration to the coral-list: the
government of Colombia has joined the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
with the launching of the initiative One Million Corals for Colombia. This
is the very first time that the national government of Colombia includes
coral reef restoration within its agenda. A milestone for all researchers,
practitioners, and environmental authorities working on this discipline
since the early 2000s. Here is a long email explaining the Why, How, and
What of this initiative in a bullet form.

The Why:
- Although Colombia has National Natural Parks and marine protected areas
that protect almost 90% of its coral reefs, no clear signs of reef recovery
have been observed after significant degradation due to natural
disturbances in the 1980s and the average coral coverage continues to
decline.  The slow recovery of reefs in protected areas has been explained
by the continuous impact of human actions within MPAs and by a failure in
coral recruitment due to the loss of the structural complexity of the
reefs.
- Today, 29% of the coral areas in Colombia have been classified as areas
in high need of restoration if they are to preserve the more than $ 421,000
million dollars annually (2013 USD) in ecosystem services that coral reefs
provide only to the Colombian Caribbean.
- Although coral reef restoration activities in isolation cannot bring dead
reefs back to life, when combined with proactive restoration methods (e.g.
MPAs, disturbance control) they can certainly help speed up natural reef
recovery.
- National Natural Parks of Colombia (PNNC) and the Corporation for
Sustainable Development of the Archipelago Department of San Andrés
Providencia and Santa Catalina - CORALINA - have carried out since 2009
small-scale pilot projects (<2000 fragments) for the restoration of coral
reefs using the coral gardening concept in six protected areas with
positive coral survival results in nursery (> 90%) and transplant (> 86%)
stages.
- Between 2017 and 2020, a large-scale participatory coral gardening
project in the Archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia, and Santa Catalina,
the Reef for All project, generated a stock of 13,468 fragments of four
hard coral species and outplanted 8,537 of these in more than 4,500 square
meters of reef in the Archipelago. Preliminary analysis of the effect of
the interventions carried out - massive coral transplantation and micro
fragmentation - showed an increase in live coral coverage between 23% and
41% at the intervened sites, higher than control and reference sites.
- The science of ecological restoration of coral reefs indicates that it is
important to increase the scale of the restoration, both in the number of
transplanted corals and in the intervened area and stakeholders involved.
In this way, we can accelerate reef recovery, promote adaptive resilience
to climate change, and reduce the costs of interventions. Seeking to
protect the genetic diversity of coral populations in the intervened sites,
coral nurseries can become genetic repositories where individuals are
protected and away from the diseases that are currently affecting natural
reefs. Nurseries could also become breeding sites once corals reach sexual
maturity.
- The replication and adaptation of the experience achieved in the REEF FOR
ALL program and in other smaller-scale processes in the coral areas of
Colombia, within the framework of the National Development Plan (PND 2010 -
2014) and the National Restoration Plan (PNR ) of the Ministry of
Environment and Sustainable Development - MADS - will contribute to meeting
the objectives of the National Government of seeking strategies and actions
to turn Colombia into a sustainable bi-oceanic power by the year 2030
(CONPES 3990), and to contribute to the planned goals of the UN in the
Decade of Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030) and Ocean Sciences for
Sustainable Development (2021-2030).

The How:
- As members of the Society for Ecological Restoration and the Coral
Restoration Consortium, we follow the international principles and
standards for the practice of ecological restoration to increase the scale
of coral reef restoration efforts in Colombia that lead to the conservation
of their biodiversity and ecosystem services in Colombia.
- Similarly, we follow published coral gardening and coral restoration
genetics guidelines (e.g. for collection, genetic diversity, site
selection, etc.) and benchmarks (e.g. survival and growth) to increase the
effectiveness and evaluate the success of coral gardening efforts, and
reduce/control/mitigate the risk underpinning these and any other actions.
- We use science-based tested methods for coral propagation that allow the
inclusion of over 20 hard coral species from the Caribbean and involve all
relevant social actors (e.g. ONGs, researchers, diving professionals,
fisher folks) currently working in coral reef restoration to streamline
efforts under national guidelines to ensure sustainability, control, and
compliance.
- We concentrate on coral stock already growing in the more than six (6)
coral gardening projects running in Colombia, five of them within MPAs.

The What:
- We identify and prioritize species for propagation (>20).
- We identify and characterize coral reef areas (13) for restoration in the
Colombian Caribbean and Pacific.
- We develop implementation plans for the cultivation and restoration
projects by public entities of the environmental sector (13) following
previous experiences.
- We set coral gardening parameters for the propagation of coral colonies.
Our fragmentation and microfragmentation protocol allow us to collect only
10% of a donor colony if needed (targeting artificial reefs and piers found
on most areas), use available stock, focused on fragments of opportunity
(naturally fragmented). Finally, a collection of fragments from 10 colonies
(genotypes) per species per site is estimated to be representative of more
than 50% of the genetic diversity of each site.
- We set a 18 months (re)fragmentation plan that allows fragment growth and
the exponential propagation of the initial stock. Our model ensures that
only 22,500 cm2 or 2.25 m2 of living coral tissue will be required per
species per site to generate the initial culture stock at each site.
- We grow 100.000 fragments from branching corals in underwater rope
nurseries, using current national stock that is well over 50.000 from the
three Acropora species. The other 900.000 fragments are from massive and
encrusting coral species which will be propagated in fixed table nurseries
and/or directly transplanted onto denuded coral heads (re-skinning).
- At each of the 13 coral reef areas, we will build a team of 6 locals to
run the coral gardening activities of this initiative. They will be trained
on coral gardening techniques following our standardized professional
training workshop program (similar to the one organized by rrreefs and that
initiated this thread).
- We establish strategic alliances with private and public actors to
support coral gardening actions and other complementary activities.
- From the strengthening of strategic alliances, guide documents will be
produced to serve as a tool for decision-making and planning of maintenance
actions and regular monitoring of the cultivated stock (ie survival and
growth) in order to identify and manage threats in a timely manner, and
that it informs and assists in the fulfillment of the goals.
- Similarly and in accordance with what has been previously described, we
continue promoting collective actions to reduce anthropogenic pressures
(e.g. local pollution, overfishing, anchoring) in coral areas and that also
strengthen the management and sustainable use of the ecosystem.
- We set plans for managing associated local risks (i.e. predators,
diseases, cash flow shortages, rapid threat response) as implemented in
other regions affected by coral diseases (Belize, Puerto Rico), storms
(Seychelles), or funding limitations (Fiji, Colombia).
- We set an advisory team to design the roadmap for the second phase of the
project: coral outplanting.

I hope this described the One Million Coral project that Dra Nohora Galvis
mentioned and provides requested feedback.

ome important notes I leave you with:
- Under a hurricane cat 5 there is no above or underwater structure that
will hold strong. Does that mean we should not be building structures with
set specific goals (e.g. houses, shelters, artificial reefs, nurseries)
then at hurricane-prone areas?
- INVEMAR, the Marine and Coastal Research Institute from Colombia, already
showed that coral reefs in Providencia island were not severely affected by
hurricane Iota and Eta. Mangroves and the whole land green cover was.
-  Although the dredging operations at Providencia island channel pose a
high risk to coral reefs, to date there is no scientific evidence yet to
suggest a negative impact on coral reef sites. Simila
- One that has been discussed here so many times: climate change is
undoubtedly the most important threat coral reefs face, but we cannot sit
and wait while we work on it. I believe, there are a lot of people in the
world to divide efforts and work simultaneously on controlling threats and
promoting natural reef recovery.

Thanks and apologies for the long email.