[Coral-List] Coral City Camera recordings available to researchers

Coral Morphologic coralmorphologic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:47:23 UTC 2021

Since early 2020, the Coral City Camera (www.coralcitycamera.com) has been
live-streaming nearly non-stop from its underwater location at the
easternmost point of PortMiami as part of an award-winning public art and
education project in collaboration with NOAA.

During the past 18 months I have individually annotated over 14,000 clips
representing 157 species of fish (plus lots of manatees and the occasional
diving seabird and sea turtle and green iguana). Besides documenting the
best views of each species observed, I also captured interesting behaviors
(predation, color changes, aggressive encounters etc). This may represent
one of the most comprehensive collections of annotated video data from a
single coral reef site.

In the spirit of open access science, we would like to make this database
of videos available to researchers. Because the CCC is in a stationary
position (moved once 300' in Jan 2021), it may be an ideal dataset for
those interested in developing AI/computer learning algorithms to identify
and count Caribbean reef fish. It is currently being used in the MATE ROV
student competition for this purpose.

We have made sure to record the same locations at the same times for an
hour in the morning and early evening to create an even more standardized
data subset. Beyond the 2tb of short clips (most are 10-30 seconds in
length), separately we have also made about 10tb of multiple-hour long
recordings (90%+ of daylight hours have been recorded since Jan 2021) that
may be useful to identify seasonal changes in abundance and biodiversity at
this site.

If analyzing this data is something that you might find useful, please
contact me via email and let us know what you're interested in studying.
Accessing all 14k+ videos will likely require a Dropbox Professional
account, or a blank harddrive of sufficient storage could be mailed to us
to return back to you.

Cheers,
Colin
Coral Morphologic <http://www.coralmorphologic.com>