[Coral-List] New Paper: GxE in Coral Bleaching

Crawford Drury druryc at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:41:47 UTC 2021

Hi Coral List,

I wanted to call your attention to our new paper 'Genotype by environment interactions in coral bleaching’ available here: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2021.0177 <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2021.0177>

This work has some important implications for the way we think about and aim to manage thermal tolerance:

There are significant GxE interactions in field bleaching in an 8-site x 10-genotype reciprocal transplant experiment with Acropora cervicornis and no coral genotypes were always ‘winners’ or ‘losers’ at all sites
However, we developed a robust ‘bleaching residual’ metric that describes thermal tolerance across many sites, which is significantly impacted by genotype
SNP data (sparse though it may be) can be combined with machine learning to predict this thermal tolerance in other regions with reasonable accuracy, which is good news for the quest to develop biomarkers

Cheers,

-Ford

Crawford Drury
Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology