[Coral-List] Ocean Optimism and communication concerning the global environmental crisis

Sierra Rose Garcia sgarcia3 at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 23 21:18:12 UTC 2021

Dear Steve, Peter, everyone who has replied regarding messaging around
coral restoration,

The messaging around coral restoration is something I've been thinking
about for several couple years. I actually applied for a couple grants
while working on my master's degree to do some analysis on this exact
topic, by posing brief surveys to tourists and students participating in a
coral restoration project to (quantitatively and qualitatively) gauge their
understanding of the threats facing coral reefs (and the role of carbon
emissions in particular) before, immediately after, and several months
after participating. I never got the grants, but in the preliminary
research I did while investigating the topic, there seemed to be a
tremendous gap in the literature on the ripple effects various
communication/education strategies for coral restoration programs can have.

I strongly suspect, as I'm sure many of you do, that the attention
restoration garners will adversely impact public understanding of coral
reef status and threats unless coral restoration scientists, managers, and
funders intentionally use their platforms to amplify accurate information.
I don't want to blast this whole mail list with an essay of all my thoughts
and observations on this topic, but I'm happy to chat more with anybody who
is interested in further discussing how we can frame coral conservation and
restoration in ways that effectively communicate the seriousness while
keeping people engaged.

Sierra Garcia