[Coral-List] marine heat waves

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu May 6 20:47:49 UTC 2021

A big problem for coral reefs but also other parts of the oceans

Fevers are plaguing the oceans- and climate change is making them worse

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01142-4

Links in that article to other articles relevant to coral reefs:

These corals could survive climate change- and help save the world's reefs

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03629-7

“Unless we curb carbon emissions, none of this is going to make any
difference whatsoever,”

Save reefs to rescue all ecosystems

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02737-8

"What’s more, small-scale attempts at coral gardening, aquarium breeding
and cryopreservation can convey a misleading message: that the decline of
coral reefs is solvable without rapid, coordinated action on climate change
caused by human activity."

"Ultimately, coral reefs will be lost unless global carbon emissions are
slashed to 45% of 2010 levels by 20301
<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02737-8#ref-CR1>."

(note when articles like this say that 'some reefs will be gone' they mean
the coral reef ecosystem, not the geological structure.  We continue to use
sloppy terminology that is way less specific than it needs to be, in my
opinion.)

Cheers, Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

Slashing emissions by 2050 isn't enough.  We can bring down temperature now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/climate-deadlines-super-pollutants-hfcs-methane/2021/04/15/acb8c612-9d7d-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html

Humans have destroyed 97% of earth's ecosystems
(well, more like only 3% are fully intact)
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1fH7DT?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Study: One-third of plant and animal species could be gone in 50 years.
(but 2-4 times worse in tropics)
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/uoa-soo021220.php
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/8/4211