[Coral-List] Deeper Reefs and Marine Protected Areas Online Survey

Paris Stefanoudis paris.stefanoudis at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 14 15:27:53 UTC 2021

Are you working, or have you worked on the design, designation and/or management of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in any of the following countries: Comoros, Kenya, Mozambique, Seychelles, South Africa (Indian Ocean Coast) and Tanzania? If so, we need your help to better understand if and how deeper reefs (~30-300 m) are considered in these processes.

Your contribution would help us define the main barriers for including deeper reefs in area-based management tools, and allow us, together with those of you who are interested, to identify key activities or processes that might further their inclusion. A summary of findings from this questionnaire will be shared with all participants at the end of the project. In the next steps, we will work together with participants and national governments to develop a set of recommendations and practical guides for policymakers and practitioners to support inclusion of deeper reef habitats in MPA planning and development.

The online survey will take approximately 15mins to complete and is available in English, French, and Portuguese.

If you would like to take part, we would be grateful if you could complete the survey using the link below by 28/05/2021.

Link to survey: https://oxford.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/deeper-reefs-and-marine-protected-areas-s1

You can find more about the project HERE<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FE-BBaOVO1tXWixP5DlXcRZrH_DIqUX8T_wM2k_z37w/edit?usp=sharing> (also available in French<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eRzdI7cwUdwhJXWv5ipA-wsJvtR-B-0ofiwf3cvu50U/edit?usp=sharing> and Portuguese<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kU8i3U03_hpzUsmNjiKuf5Algiyp6VzojYOKbU0hwN8/edit?usp=sharing>)

Please feel free to forward the survey to any interested parties.

Have questions? Do not hesitate to contact Dr Paris Stefanoudis at paris.stefanoudis at zoo.ox.ac.uk.

Dr Paris Stefanoudis
Postdoctoral Researcher

University of Oxford • Department of Zoology • Marine Ecology Research Group
www.zoo.ox.ac.uk/marine-ecology-and-research-group<https://www.zoo.ox.ac.uk/marine-ecology-and-research-group>

Nekton Oxford Deep Ocean Research Institute
Tel: +44 1865 309685
www.nektonmission.org<http://www.nektonmission.org>
Registered in England Number 9644797
Registered Charity Number 1162666