[Coral-List] New book & Gulf Stream tipping point

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Wed May 19 11:55:03 UTC 2021

   Steve:

   Re your second point, see Smith et al 1987, Nature 386 p. 818-820.

   The first author, Jodie Smith, has left science and now takes care of
   me and the dogs in the woods of Canada. One of the reasons is: "The
   initiation of the Younger Dryas may have taken place over as few as 5
   years. This rate of change in deeper-ocean conditions is one of the
   most rapid such recorded events in the marine record."

   We saw this coming 25 years ago. Thus my belief that present "reef
   rehabilitation" efforts are a colossal waste of time.

   Mike