[Coral-List] Vote for People's Choice Award in the "Sammies"

Mark Eakin corals.and.climate at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:46:29 UTC 2021

I’m honored to have been selected as a finalist for the #Sammies2021 <https://www.linkedin.com/feed/hashtag/?keywords=sammies2021&highlightedUpdateUrns=urn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A6794968028351217664>, the “Oscars” of government service for my work at Coral Reef Watch. I had the pleasure to direct a great team of experts to develop and operate the world’s only satellite-based monitoring system that provides accurate forecasts and early warnings to environmental officials worldwide at a time when rising ocean temperatures threaten the health of coral reefs. Highlighting this was the use of this system to enable the filming of the Sundance- and Emmy-winning documentary Chasing Coral, on which I served as Chief Science Advisor. I retired from Federal service at the end of 2020, with Derek Manzello now at the helm at CRW.

All 29 finalists are also eligible for the Service to America Medals People’s Choice Award. The Top 12 will be announced Monday, May 24. Anyone can vote online for the federal employee they believe has made the most significant contributions in public service. You may vote for as many finalists as you want, and you may submit your votes once every 24 hours. The People’s Choice winner will be announced in the summer.

Visit https://servicetoamericamedals.org/peoples-choice-award/ <https://servicetoamericamedals.org/peoples-choice-award/> to vote.

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Past Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
PROTECH NOAA Affiliate, Global Science and Technology
OSTA # TO007, in support of  NOAA/NESDIS Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR) Satellite Oceanography and Climatology Division (SOCD)
Living on on lands stewarded by the Nacotchanke (Anacostan) and Piscataway Peoples

e-mail: Corals.and.Climate at gmail.com
Twitter: @MarkEakin	FB: Mark Eakin
Mobile: (301) 502-8608

‘'The climate system is an angry beast and we are poking it with sticks.''
Prof. Wallace Broecker, March 17, 1998