[Coral-List] functional extinction of D. cylindrus on the Florida Reef Tract.

Melanie McField - HRI mcfield at healthyreefs.org
Tue May 25 13:56:33 UTC 2021

Coral Listers:
I agree with the urgency of addressing the root causes of  coral decline
and there is some value in having such discussions among ourselves (this
list or ISRS) - but the greater value will be gained if we all additionally
write letters and give interviews to local newspapers, online blogs,
political action committees etc.  Coral reef conservation needs to be a
topic of dinner conversations in regular (non-scientist) households across
the world - including the industrialized non-reef bearing countries that
are contributing significantly to the climate and other pollution, the
over-fishing and overdevelopment of sensitive coastal areas.

We also need to have clear instructions for what the average citizens can
do to help coral reefs.  Support local efforts to curb pollution,
overdevelopment, and overfishing; eat lower on the food chain and from a
local supply chain; conserve energy use alternative energy; and support
politicians that support conservation - this last step is critical - Vote
out the bad ones and help find and support more good ones. We can all help
with this step - in our free time - of course- when not supported by any
restricted funding.

Melanie

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 6:56 AM Steve via Coral-List <