[Coral-List] Dendrogyra

Longin Kaczmarsky solonnie at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 14:59:47 UTC 2021

An important ecological role of Pillar coral in ecosystems associated with coral reefs may not be so much as a reef-builder but as isolated refugia interspersed in patch reefs. When I was diving and snorkeling in the 1980s, long before getting a PhD researching coral diseases, I would cover very large tracts of near-shore patch reefs 6 hours+/day, almost every day, for about six years collecting fish and inverts for the aquarium trade (during a time when these organisms were far more abundant). This gave me great insights into distribution patterns for many reef species. During this time, I recorded and mapped favorable locations/conditions for hundreds of species (fish, inverts, and algae). I would particularly make note of the "rare" giant Dendrogyra colonies because they were magnets for certain species that would concentrate on them, colorful juvenile jewelfish for example. They were more often found in open bottom areas, near to patches of more diverse reefs, rather than integrated in a mixed species reef structure.

Lonnie Kaczmarsky, PhD