[Coral-List] Dendrogyra

Vassil Zlatarski vzlatarski at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:18:24 UTC 2021

Dear all,

The revision of the existing knowledge about Dendrogyra cylindrus shows
clearly that it is not a significant reef builder.

On a separate note, until very recently this species was considered a
gonochoric (separate male and female colonies).  Neely KL, Levis C, Chan
AN, Baums IB. (2018. Coral Reefs, 37:1987-1092) described case in Florida
Keys of hermaphroditic spawning of Pillar coral. Over years they observed
switching from female to hermaphrodite, and from male to hermaphrodite, and
one from hermaphrodite to male. Hope to see the continuation of their
observations, which demonstrate the evolutionary potential of corals.

The biodiversity is priceless, every species is unique, the coral systems
are crucial for our existence.  The problem is how to act most efficiently
before we lose them.

Cheers,

Vassil

Vassil Zlatarski