[Coral-List] Dendrogyra

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Thu May 27 15:55:42 UTC 2021

Dear Eugene and Coral Listers,

In some dive sites of the Caribbean Sea, we only have  to remember how
beautiful the Coral Reefs were with TBT Photos and Videos. In our
Coral Reefs Observatory, we call it "Recorded Reality" in comparisson
to "Virtual Reality" or "Augmented Reality",  to share memories and
Reality Recorded in photos and videos from our volunteer observers of
the Coral Reefs of the world.

Vitamin Sea provides Health Benefits in hte distance during pandemics,
EXISTANCE VALUE (Economics concept) only by sharing beatiful images
reminding us how beautiful used to be or to rememeber us that there
are still some resilient coral reefs to be effetively protected from
local and global threats.

Recording Reality, see Dendrogyra cilindrus in our cover photos.  Some
coral reef areas remind us the benefit of the peace with nature even
that are UNESCO Man and Biosphere Reserves need enforcement to avoid
further destruction in a context of bounderies disputes between
countries.

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/photos/a.430580576978010/3998970463472319

https://twitter.com/ArrecifesCoral

https://twitter.com/ICRIcolombia

<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>:
> In all my 60+ yearsdiving in the Florida Keys (starting in my senior
> year in high school(1953) I never saw a mailbox placed on pillar coral.
> Remember there were few residents in the Keys and major canal dredging
> started in the late 1950s extending into the early 1960s. I watched it
> all. Major changes began in the 1970s much of it spurred on later by
> creation of the Key Largo Coral Reef Sanctuary, the first Burger King,
> and creation of dive shops.
>
> While doing geological research and drilling around 100  reef cores we
> never encountered Pillar coral. Living ones were rare in the 50s and 60s
> and were never considered significant reef builders. They never could
> have created significant habitat for reef fishes or other reef fauna. I
> have photographed large ones on Jamaican reefs but I can not speak for
> the rest of the Caribbean.Nevertheless, I seriously doubt they have ever
> been significant reef builders anywhere in the Caribbean. They also do
> not appear in exposures of Pleistocene coral reefs. You will not see
> them in the beautiful exposures of reef limestone in the Florida Keys
> Fossil reef quarry on Windley key.Gene

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Instagram ObservatorioArrecifesCoral