[Coral-List] local management can improve bleaching outcomes

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu May 27 21:18:53 UTC 2021

Local management matters for coral reefs

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6545/908

Local conditions magnify coral loss after marine heatwaves

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6545/977

"Climate change threatens coral reefs by causing heat stress events that
lead to widespread coral bleaching and mortality. Given the global nature
of these mass coral mortality events, recent studies argue that mitigating
climate change is the only path to conserve coral reefs. Using a global
analysis of 223 sites, we show that local stressors act synergistically
with climate change to kill corals. Local factors such as high abundance of
macroalgae or urchins magnified coral loss in the year after bleaching.
Notably, the combined effects of increasing heat stress and macroalgae
intensified coral loss. Our results offer an optimistic premise that
effective local management, alongside global efforts to mitigate climate
change, can help coral reefs survive the Anthropocene."

Not open access.  See author email address.

Cheers, Doug
--
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

Slashing emissions by 2050 isn't enough.  We can bring down temperature now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/climate-deadlines-super-pollutants-hfcs-methane/2021/04/15/acb8c612-9d7d-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html

Humans have destroyed 97% of earth's ecosystems
(well, more like only 3% are fully intact)
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1fH7DT?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Study: One-third of plant and animal species could be gone in 50 years.
(but 2-4 times worse in tropics)
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/uoa-soo021220.php
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/8/4211