[Coral-List] Dendrogyra

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri May 28 03:25:09 UTC 2021

Well said!  This species is more phylogenetically unique than most, the
only member of its genus, and in a small family.  Same is true with the
Ctenella chagius coral in Chagos in the Indian Ocean that is in a similar
situation.  Both of these species are listed as EDGE species
"Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered" by the London Zoological
Society.  https://www.edgeofexistence.org/
They say that pillar coral has "conservation attention: very low."  That is
relative to other endangered species.
https://www.edgeofexistence.org/species/species-category/focal-species/search-species/Dendrogyra/

The fundamental problem with extinction is that it is irreversible.  If
methods to reverse it are ever developed, they are likely to be way too
expensive to apply to most species.  Are we ready to permanently lose this
species?

I ask, are Giant Pandas, rhinoceros, and Siberian tigers common or critical
for their ecosystems?  Yet they are among the endangered species that are
most charismatic, and receive the most attention and efforts to keep them
from going extinct.  And they do deserve it, they are fabulous.  So is
pillar coral.

We really don't want this sort of thing to start happening to other coral
species, but we're sitting on railroad tracks with a train coming full
speed towards us.  These corals are canaries in the mine, the warning of
what will come if we don't fix the problems.

Cheers, Doug

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM Peter Sale via Coral-List <