[Coral-List] Summary of Goals from Other Listers/Science Not Politics will Save our Ecosystems

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Fri May 28 15:18:02 UTC 2021

Hi Nathan,

First of all let me say that it is helpful to hear the views of young people on these issues. After all, it is your generation and beyond that will be most affected by the policies we choose to implement at this time. I too am not an expert by any means, but questioning those here is among the best ways to learn. Still, I have a few thoughts I’d like to share in reaction to some of your main points and hopefully some of the real experts will chime in and set us straight.

1. Addressing climate change / lowering carbon emissions.

Although positive feedback loops are a reality, the sooner we cut down on carbon emissions the better. This is one of the issues which I believe offers the most hope IF we act now and there is reason to believe that the momentum is on our side. Recent news on this front is encouraging. Automobile manufacturers have already made it clear that they are moving to electrify their fleets and soon. Shell has been ordered by a court in the Netherlands to cut carbon emissions by 45% by 2030. Exxon and Chevron have suffered shareholder rebellions over failure to implement strategies for a low-carbon future. I would argue that change is in the air (pardon the pun).

2. Clean up the water.

None of this will be easy, but it isn’t that different from cutting carbon emissions. If automobile manufacturers and major fossil fuel extractors can be leveraged to change, so can chemical companies and the agriculture sectors of our economy.

3. Politicians

We will never be able to convince everyone to value the natural world on par with consumption, but those who deny climate change and downplay pollution can certainly be marginalized. Once a strong majority is established we can move forward without them. Although it would be nice, we don’t need to get 100% on our side. Other countries have done it and if the USA wants to maintain a position of world leadership, we will do it too.

I could go on and on, suffice it to say that it isn’t hopeless, but science must step up for it has a vital role to play. We look to scientists to lead the way by clearly articulating the best path forward. Coral science is but a microcosm of the bigger picture and that is why I am constantly questioning their approach. Asking what we need to do to “save coral reefs” is not that different from asking what we need to do to avoid “The Venus Syndrome” or as Peter Sale just put it, keeping humanity from turning the planet into an unlivable wasteland. (By the way, let me recommend that you read James Hansen’s “Storms of My Grandchildren” and Peter Sale’s new book “Coral Reefs: Majestic Realms Under the Sea”).

Anyway, I would just like to encourage young scientists like you to keep on questioning and keep on pushing for change. Most importantly, work to get a clear message out into the public and political realms of discourse. Real change will only come when people demand it. It’s beginning to work and it is not hopeless.

Best of luck young man.

Regards,

Steve Mussman