[Coral-List] Works on Coral Reef of Colombia

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sat May 29 17:32:31 UTC 2021

Dear Tarini,

Great to count with your active participation in the Coral lIst as new
researcher !!  We thank your reports as you have been one of our
Volunteer Observers in Capurgana since 2018. We have your photos on
natural coral recruitment as evidence of resilience.

We are publishing in the following months in an Indexed book a whole
chapter: "Transdisciplinary Citizen Science connect the two Caribbean
Hope Spots of Colombia to improve the effectiveness of coral reefs
conservation"

Coral reefs between Capurgana-Cabo Tiburon are still resilient,
because they have a bottom-up framework of protection as Hope Spot
(Mission Blue and Fundacion ICRI Colombia) that stopped an oil
exploration plan in 2018 (IYOR). Nevertheless, we requested the
National Parks to include them in the National System to enforce
protection. Actually, there was a meeting few days ago in the process
of inclusion within the Sanctuary Playona.

Our recommendation to you, it is to consider in your analysis the
fisheries statistics in the last 13 years: The  closure of industrial
fishing between 2008-2009 and the Lionfish invasion that started in
2010 in that area. Successfully Liionfish reduction since 2012, when
we involved the artisanal fishers to catch the invasive species and
consume them as they liked the meat that compare to the grouper
quality.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314153451_Galvis_N_H_y_RH_Galvis_2016_Colombian_citizen_science_to_improve_coral_reef_conservation_Citizen_Science_Proceedings_International_Coral_Reef_Session_88_606-619

CODECHOCO as local environmental authority is currently, also
promoting lionfish fishing and consumption.  In that coral reef area,
the local fishers do not catch Parrot Fish, they do not like the
flavor. Although, some external illegal fishers come from Cartagena
and Acandi to put big nets with the focus of big carnivores like
sharks. Of course, herbivores get entangled. Our volunteer observers
of the coral reefs (Local Scuba Diving Operators) , every time that
see a big net underwater, they remove it immediately with the NAVY.
Nevertheless, it is relevant of double or triple the protection
bottom-up framework with Top-Down coordination (National Parks and
Potential UNESCO World Heritage Site).

<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>:
> Hi Coral-Listers!
>
> We want to share our work on coral reefs in Colombia. We hope they
> contribute a little to your knowledge about this incredible ecosystem.
>
> http://scimar.icm.csic.es/scimar/index.php/secId/6/IdArt/4626/.
>
> https://www.scielo.sa.cr/pdf/rbt/v68n3/0034-7744-rbt-68-03-729.pdf
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Ibis Tarini López-Jiménez
>
> --
> *IT. López-Jiménez*
> *BSc. Oceanografía, **MSc. Ciencias del Mar.*
>
> *UdeA*

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Instagram ObservatorioArrecifesCoral