[Coral-List] COP26 impacts on coral reefs

Franziska Elmer franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 02:53:20 UTC 2021

As Steve said COP26 was not able to keep 1.5 C alive and the commitments way overshoot this target.

Steve asked how should we proceed. One thing to think about is what to do with our career as we might loose the reefs they are based upon. The other thing to think about is how can we get politicans to act as if this is an emergency and turn the wheel around. The answer to this is that we as scientists have to act as if this in an emergency. We have written papers, signed letters and petitons for years and they have not worked. 15'000 scientists put their names on a warnings paper and it didnt move our politicans. Our message doesnt come across. Our last resort might be joining others in non violent civil dissobediance and I hope many of you start considering taking action this way. After all most of the success and hope coming out of COP26 happened in the streets and not in the blue zone. Please get in touch if tu ou want to know more.

With love for the ocean and rage about political inaction,

Dr. Franziska Elmer