[Coral-List] COP26 impacts on coral reefs

Intenational Coral Reefs Observatory icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 16:08:23 UTC 2021

It is a failure that Agenda 2030 is postponed to 2050. The achievement of
Sustainable Development Goal 13 and 14 are linked. If there is no global
compromise, at least the coral listers should be engaged in leading by
example and avoid supporting further local coral reef degradation.

Scientists from other disciplines should also be involved to estimate the
total economic value, before allowing coral reefs destruction. What moves
current decision making is monetary values. Ecologists should not say coral
reefs are priceless. As it is understood by developers that it is cheaper
to destroy a coral reef and pay ONE MILLION OF DOLLARS to any scientist who
can praise their ego saying that they will "save the reef with restoration
after the induced degradation".

In our case study, in Varadero, Colombia, we showed to decision makers that
destroying the coral reef will cost them more than the total cost of the
dredging project. Therefore, they had to find alternatives or forget about the
destruction of that resilient coral reef  (Read the Chapter 3 pages
55-84 of the Book)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355398424_Transdisciplinary_Citizen_Science_Connects_Caribbean_Hope_Spots_of_Colombia_to_Improve_Coral_Reefs_Governance

Transdisciplinary research involves many scientific disciplines and the
users of the coral reefs within a citizen science program that increase
governance and improve coral reef conservation effectiveness.
This means that based on ecological sciences, we identify the relevance of
keeping the ecosystems integrity. Besides, we also can based on sociology
to consider the social existence value from the local communities.
Furthermore, the economic value estimates will convince politicians
that their negative impact caused by their decisions will be measured in
the magnitude of what they should have to pay and prevent to keep allowing
further coral reefs degradation.

We add to the words of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at #COP26 (to
call for the creation
of a global price on carbon: "Just as globally we’ve agreed to a minimum
corporate tax, we must work together to ensure it is no longer FREE to
pollute anywhere around the world") We must work together to ensure it
is no longer CHEAP to pollute, nor destroy a coral reef, so the
developers will have to find alternatives or forget about keep
degrating the coral reefs ecosystem integrity.