[Coral-List] Fwd: FIELD OF GIANTS

Vassil Zlatarski vzlatarski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:11:00 UTC 2021

Hi Katie,

Permit me with due respect to the existing knowledge to Caribbean coral
communities to note:

(1) Yes, you used a large amount of information, however you ignored the
richest Caribbean data from the early 1970s of Cuba and from the mid 1980s
of Mexico and as result your picture is not complete.

(2) You stipulate without any argument “it is possible that your surveys
were excluded because they didn't meet the specific criteria for our
studies”.  Even now, for this discussion in Coral-List you did not dedicate
attention at least at a monograph published in Russian (1980), French
(1982) and in Spanish (2018):

Zlatarski, V. N., N. Martinez Estalella. 1982. Les Scléractiniares de Cuba
avec des données sur les organismes associés. Edit. Académie bulgare des
Sciences, Sofia, 472 p., annexe 1.

Zlatarski, V. N., N. Martínez Estalella. 2018. Los escleractinios de Cuba
con datos sobre sus organismos asociados. Harte Research Institute for Gulf
of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, 471 p., 1 anexo
http://www.harteresearchinstitute.org/project/legacy-book-los-escleractinios-de-cuba-corals-cuba

A recent opinion about the monograph appeared in REEF ENCOUNTER, vol. 35, №
1, July 2020, p. 78.

Also, an article in English:

Zlatarski, V. N. 2008. [not 2007] Scleractinians of Yucatán Peninsula,
Mexico: results of 1983-1984 investigation. *– *CICIMAR *Oceánides*. 22(1,
2): 45-116.

In the existence of such works, why do you hypothesize that your opponent
possibly referred to his paper on mesophotic coral ecosystems?  You could
get more off the focal point by proposing that he was referring to a dozen
of his papers on Mesozoic corals …

(3) You shared a surprise regarding your opponent's statement “that the
sources we excluded from Cuba contain more sites than does the entire
dataset we compiled for the 1970s”.  That statement is based on your Table
A3 (2021, p. 20), where for the time bin 1970-1979 your total number of
reef sites for the entire Caribbean is only 79, for Cuba - none and for
Mexico - 4.  Kindly for your attention to the references above.

(4) Nowadays to ignore *Acropora prolifera* is misrepresenting Caribbean
*Acropora*.  Actually, you are honoring incomplete information.

I will be glad to continue this conversation but please do not avoid the
focal point and use scientific arguments.

Cheers,

Vassil (on behalf of the neglected Caribbean coral data)

Vassil N. Zlatarski

D.Sc. (Biology), Ph.D. (Geology)