[Coral-List] Questions Goliath Grouper Re: My name on the list

Shortfin Mako Shark shortfin_mako_shark at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 16:37:47 UTC 2021

 Koenig et al. (2020) is a great article distinguishing between fact and myth. Have we come to a time where science is not trusted? I think most of the problem is for the novice to only use observations and presumptions in their decision making process then this opinion spreads like wildfire. If these types of decisions continue to be made by those in charge, then fisheries management is in big trouble.
Similarly, the State of Florida re-opened black bear hunting in Florida in 2015 and then closed it. It initially had been closed in 1993. Although I am an avid bowhunter, I would never had targeted the Florida black bear because there was no data suggesting the population could sustain a small harvest.
How can we manage species if we are ignoring population status?
Juan