[Coral-List] Florida allows grouper kil

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 19:18:13 UTC 2021

I’m afraid that there is already a great deal of social pressure being exerted, but unfortunately much of it in the wrong direction. Many view it as a freedom issue. (Sound familiar?). Most, if not all scuba certification agencies offer “Underwater Hunter” certifications and I’ve heard a number of discussions on dive boats among scuba-equipped spearfishers about the desirability of shooting a Goliath Grouper. I imagine it’s the same motivation that comes into play with (terrestrial) big game trophy hunting. Going to take a major shift in how we view our relationship with the natural world if we are to reverse course and save any number of threatened species . . . to say nothing of coral reefs. Just another manifestation of the greater problem - a culture war whereby a good portion of the population impulsively rejects any science-based data and information that challenges their deeply held tribal beliefs. My ocean optimism is once again wearing thin.

Regards,

Steve Mussman