[Coral-List] report on treatment that stops SCTLD disease in Pillar Coral

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:40:39 UTC 2021

    I believe there are now three papers out documenting the application of
antibiotics to corals out on the reefs.

https://nsuworks.nova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2192&context=occ_facarticles/

https://peerj.com/articles/9289/?fbclid=IwAR0yErPuEXoL2nXhO2MWTRNeYrYh0QKJRNiCiEY_3-Mfxk1IjLIjw9IjCnw

Another possible strategy which wouldn't involve putting antibiotics in the
environment would be to put antiseptics in the paste.  As far as I know,
bacteria don't develop resistance to antiseptics.

The problem of rapid evolution of resistance to antibiotics and
insecticides was covered in the following paper:

Humans are the world's greatest evolutionary force

http://www.references.260mb.com/Evolucion/Palumbi2001.pdf?i=1

I also understand that there are some corals in Florida that didn't respond
to the antibiotic treatment.

Cheers, Doug