[Coral-List] New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

Phillip Dustan phil.dustan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 16:31:07 UTC 2021

Guess this is what we call Evolution by Natural Selection - a classic case
study.
Nice to know that corals still have it within their powers to adapt to
changes in selection pressure.
If we'd only give them half a chance they'd be fine.
As it is, they will most probably outlast humanity....

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:18 AM Michael Fox via Coral-List <

> Hi Coral List,
>

> I want to draw your attention to our recent paper, ‘Increasing coral reef
> resilience through successive marine heatwaves” available here:
> https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL094128
>

> Our observation that the effects of thermal stress on PIPA’s coral
> populations have lessened over the course of three major El Niño events
> raises important questions about the capacity of corals to adapt to ocean
> warming. These findings complement a suite of recent papers highlighting
> the ability of stress tolerant corals to successfully pass on beneficial
> traits to their next generation.
>

> All the best,
> Mike
> --
> Mike

Phillip Dustan PhD
Charleston SC  29424
843-953-8086 office
843-224-3321 (mobile)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself
we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords
that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. "
*                                         John Muir 1869*

*A Swim Through TIme on Carysfort Reef*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPJE7UE6sA
*Raja Ampat Sustainability Project video*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RR2SazW_VY&fbclid=IwAR09oZkEk8wQkK6LN3XzVGPgAWSujACyUfe2Ist__nYxRRSkDE_jAYqkJ7A
*Bali Coral Bleaching 2016 video*

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo>*