[Coral-List] [External Email] Re: New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

Lescinsky, Halard hlescinsky at otterbein.edu
Thu Sep 16 18:08:48 UTC 2021

David:  Can you please explain what you mean by the natural life cycle of a reef and particularly its senescence and terminal stage?  Even reefs that reach sea-level and have no accommodation space for upward accretion can have high coral cover (though this is presumably removed periodically by storms, allowing for new growth).  And while reef flats may have no accommodation space left for upward accretion, corals in adjacent deeper waters certainly do and the seaward progradation of reefs is normal.  It seems like attributing the loss of corals and reefs to natural senescence sounds dangerously similar to other discarded theories of evolution that are best forgotten.