[Coral-List] New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

spalumbi spalumbi at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 20 16:41:21 UTC 2021

Hi Mike and Austin et al, thanks for your focus on this process of selection. What pops out is that there are two layers of selection - community selection of the most heat tolerant species, and adaptive selection for the most tolerant genotypes within species. Maybe one way forward is to talk about the impacts of both of these on reef function.

Like others I’ve been on many heat-exposed reefs dominated by slow growing Porites and Heliopora. How well do they support reef production and growth compared to other community compositions? Likewise, how well do heat resistant Acropora fare in other measures such as disease tolerance, growth or other measures of fitness?

One way of thinking about whether community or adaptive selection are positive is whether they benefit reef and human communities compared to the alternative. I’m not sure we know this completely yet!

all the best
Steve
Stephen Palumbi
Jane and Marshall Steel, Jr. Professor of Marine Biology
Stanford University
Hopkins Marine Station
microdocumentaries at http://microdocs.org