[Coral-List] Coral reefs in the Gilbert Islands of Kiribati after more than a decade of multiple stressors

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:19:41 UTC 2021

Thanks Sarah for these clarifications.

While your study is great and it does present the rather disconcerting
facts in a balanced and neutral manner, it is your title which I feel might
be misinterpreted:  "Resistance, resilience, and recovery" are all very
positive sounding terms, and many people will read that and assume that the
reefs are doing just fine.  Less positive more accurate descriptors for
your findings might have been: species and ecological phase shifts,
degraded coral communities, delayed coral recovery, reduced calcification
potential, and impacted fisheries habitat.  I suppose it is all about
whether the glass is 10% full or 90% empty?   In our personal lives of
course we try to be positive, but as this is the leading edge of the
planetary collapse of coral reefs- a snapshot in the unfinished story of a
horrific and unfolding disaster.  What will happen is that your title, like
the titles of the Phoenix Islands study, will circulate widely, and that is
all that most people will ever read of your research, so that is why it
matters.

But back to the paper: your results are very interesting and relevant to
our own sites. Porites rus is also the dominant coral in the inner hottest
reefs in our Fiji sites, reefs which experience 32-35C conditions every
summer.  Acropora and Pocillopra corals are also found, but they only
exist where they can escape the ever present COTS and Drupella snail
predation.  From our experience COTS avoid Porites- feeding on it only when
all other options are gone.  Acropora is their ice cream and Pocillopora
their cake, but the latter species often has the little Trapezia crabs that
can help keep the COTS at bay, while Acropora has their guard dogs in the
form of Stegastes farmer damselfish, which bite the spines off approaching
COTS and thus protect the Actopora, otherwise these corals stand absolutely
no chance when COTS numbers are high and Acropora cover is low.  The
somewhat cooler middle reefs are dominated by large Pocillopora colonies in
the more COTS impacted areas, interspersed with staghorn Acropora patches
protected by farmerfish, while the less COTS impacted, cooler, and higher
flow areas are dominated by tabulate Acroporas, some of which have been
wiped out in recent years by COTS infestations.  If our Fiji sites are
showing a very similar trajectory to what the Gilbert sites are showing,
that is hugely important to look into further.

I find it unusual that Abaiang Atoll has high COTS numbers, as Chuck
Birkeland established that COTS outbreaks are normally not found on oceanic
atolls, as the outbreaks are related to high nutrient levels.  But then you
have highly impacted Tarawa right there, so I suspect that their origin is
Tarawa, with either a nutrient/ phytoplankton rich plume headed north, or
perhaps they simply walked over?   Fortunately we have never seen a COTS in
our work on Kiritimati, and snail numbers are very low as well. This makes
me wonder what is happening on the other atolls of the Gilbert chain, as
they all have more pristine waters?

I think that it is time to take a more systematic approach to monitoring
what is happening in the wider Pacific. Kiribati-Tuvalu-Fiji represents a
north-south transect worthy of monitoring closely.  Our Tuvalu sites show
that Acropora remains in luxurious abundance, particularly  in the marine
conservation area.  The reefs of Funafuti have never had a condition two
bleaching event, so we still have a reef system that represents the non
impacted state.  Watching what happens over the coming years will be
interesting.  There was an impact from the condition one bleaching event
that briefly happened in 2015, but only the shallow southern shallow lagoon
hot pocket seems to have lost any corals, with over half dead and standing
in 2018.  We collected samples of the surviving heat adapted corals of that
hot lagoon and have established them in cooler waters in the conservation
area, so that those heat adapted corals do not perish should a severe
bleaching hit Tuvalu in the future. We of course developed this strategy
after seeing the total death of the corals of the Kiritimati lagoon, and
this is our Fiji strategy now as well.

Yes, I think it is time I connected with the government strategies in
Tarawa, and I was planning to do so, and to perhaps even tag along with
Simon when he returned for follow up, but then the pandemic hit.  At least
we are now communicating, and can potentially work together in the future.
Also this sort of discussion is important for those just entering the
field, as this decade will be exceptionally challenging, and we need a
veritable army of young scientists to come to the aid of coral reefs.  We
are ready to provide free housing and boat support for self-funded
researchers and students with like-minded interests in our Fiji sites, and
the border is scheduled to open in November.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.corals4conservation.org
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org