[Coral-List] [External Email] Re: New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 02:25:25 UTC 2021

   Maybe, to follow Darwin, the "evolution" of coral reefs might be a good
term.  Lots of change over time, some patterns in the change, but death not
certain, perhaps with the exception of during the next ice age, when all
currently living reefs will be high in the air, dry and all the sea life
that was on them will not be living on them.  But other generations of that
same sea life will be living deeper and ready to re-invade the remaining
reef structure when the sea levels rise again, and the reefs come alive
again, Phoenix-life.  But probably not worth squabbling over particular
words, it is the reality of the reef and whatever changes and/or cycles
they may go through that is the important part, not so much what words we
use.  Maybe.    Cheers, Doug

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 6:21 AM David Blakeway via Coral-List <