[Coral-List] Proposed Killing of Goliath Grouper (Eugene Shinn) (Ault, Jerald Stephen) (Sarah Frias-Torres)

McManus, John W jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Sep 28 19:50:20 UTC 2021

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for letting us know what the FWC people are thinking.

This issue brings to mind the important question "Why are lionfish so problematic in the Caribbean and not in the Indo-Pacific?"

It seems highly likely that the answer is competition -- especially with groupers.

The phrase "not adversely affect the continued rebuilding of the population." seems to reflect traditional fisheries analytical thinking, which was almost exclusively about populations living in a vacuum. We really should be making better efforts to determine the role of a species in the ecosystem before proscribing what is and is not to be considered 'sustainable'.

On the other hand, it does not seem that fishing specifically for this particular species of grouper is terribly critical to the tourist economy. If there are not enough in populations of other grouper species with higher rates of recruitment to sustainably support the industry, perhaps we should concentrate on fixing that issue.

Cheers!

John McManus, PhD
Professor, University of Miami