[Coral-List] Proposed Killing of Goliath Grouper (Eugene Shinn) (Ault, Jerald Stephen) (Sarah Frias-Torres)

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:14:13 UTC 2021

It should be noted that the comment by Jerry Ault about GG being worth more
in the wild than mounted on someone’s wall is taken from the experience
with catch and release fisheries such as Tarpon and Bonefish.  That lesson
came from groups like Trout Unlimited showing the value of trout in a river
are far more valuable economically than in someone’s frying pan or a trophy
mounted on someone’s wall.

This is a rule set up by FWC for Sportsman - not as a sellable fish for
restaurants.   Yes, there are places in the Caribbean where these fish are
caught, sold, bought, and eaten.  But the FWC rules change are only for GG
found in Florida waters. These are 200 GG that could be caught by these
same sportsman, photographed and released to live another day.

Another sad day for conservation in Florida.

As Jerry noted “there is no justification” for killing these gentle giants.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 8:49 AM Elizabeth Janz via Coral-List <