[Coral-List] FIELD OF GIANTS

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:58:04 UTC 2021

When I was last in the Museum of Tropical Queensland in Townsville,
Queensland, Australia, some years ago, there was a core on display that had
had its rings counted and it covered over 700 years if I remember.  There
was an old Reef Sites in Coral Reefs, in which a massive Porites was
reported and shown which is at Green Is, Taiwan, and if I remember was 12 m
tall.  I have not read of it being cored and accurately dated, but that is
the tallest and thus likely oldest coral I know of.  The reference (Soong
et al, 1999) is in the Coward paper (ref. 18).  There may well be a taller
colony somewhere else.  They do grow faster in warmer water and slower in
cooler water, as documented by Janice Lough.  Massive Porites are among the
most difficult of all corals to identify to species, so I tend to approach
such identifications with caution.
Cheers, Doug

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 6:35 AM Phillip Dustan via Coral-List <