[Coral-List] Bleaching

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 22:07:33 UTC 2022

Alina,

At this point, population control is like handing out condoms on the
sinking Titanic!  It will not solve the present urgent crisis, the ship is
sinking not under the weight of the poor but under the weight of the rich.
Over-consumption by those already in the population is driving the
problem, not birth rate. The major carbon emitting nations- those most
responsible, all have low birth rates.  Blaming this crisis on high birth
rates among poor nations side-steps the real problem. The developing world
is NOT driving this crisis, they are the frontline victims.

Update!  Birth rates are plummeting globally, and are approaching
replacement rates in most developed nations, and are falling very rapidly
everywhere- even in the least developed nations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZW73QMBt8

Consider the subsistence fishers of the outer islands of Kiribati and the
South Pacific, most of whom live simple lives and many who do not enjoy
electricity.  They live a rich and independent life, intact culturally and
reliant on the bounties provided by the natural world. But now climate
change threatens to take all of this away from them- their economy, their
land, and their culture- they have much more to lose than those in the
developed world. These communities are on the receiving end of climate
change, even though they are the least responsible for it.  Their reefs are
mostly dead or dying, their reef fish are becoming too ciguatoxic to eat,
their islands are eroding, and their taro swamps are being invaded by
rising tides, forcing them to turn to imported rice that they can hardly
afford in order to survive.  How many years can these people hold out
before they become second class citizens elsewhere, or even untouchable
refugees.... where will they go?  And if we get the 3.2C temperature
increase that is now likely for 2100, mass migration will be happening
everywhere by then, and depopulation will become a major concern for
humanity.

Time has run out.  Speaking with one united voice at this point would be
very helpful to our cause.

We need to do much more than talking- we need to act, who else is better
qualified to lead the way?
Who else would be better able to inspire the younger generations than a
united scientific community?
Yes! sacrifice- lead the way!  Stop eating meat today!  Spend more to buy
organic foods, decouple from as much of the problem as possible, and as you
do it, do it VERY loudly.  Call meetings to highlight the problems, visit
your mayor, visit youth centers, churches, etc to discuss the seriousness
of the problem.

Our coral reefs are dying from human induced abuse, so let's get angry, and
let's make trouble!
Let's work with and reinforce any existing local and national efforts.

Regards to all,

AustIn

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.corals4conservation.org
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 12:38 AM Alina Szmant via Coral-List <