[Coral-List] Bleaching

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:40:03 UTC 2022

Thanks Denny,

I am with you!   I go from depression to determination to depression- and
what keeps me going is that we have something that no one else has- a deep
grounding in reality.  Working in Kiribati has been like taking a time
machine 30+ years into the future, and the fact is that there is still some
hope. But that left on their own, coral reefs will die out, just like the
models predict.  Like on Kiribati, we will lose most coral species on most
reefs if we don't act, but I feel certain now that we can retain all of
them in the ocean, if we act now and focus on local translocation from
hot pocket reefs out to cooler outer reef areas.   That should serve as the
core global strategy right now!   If I had begun in 2012 or 2013, I feel
certain that we would still have all species in reproductive condition
stil, in Kiribati, but now most are gone or represented by a few widely
separated genotypes.  In order for a unified and active coral focused
strategy we need to change the old '"restoration" paradigm.  I need to
publish these findings and strategies ASAP, but I am forced to spend much
of my time begging for funds and managing all aspects of the NGO admin
work, plus much of the field work.

My experience is that many of those who are active and working to turn
things around are non-scientists or new scientists, naive and therefore
highly positive, and while not very effective, I have found that many are
receptive to learning.  We need to give them strategies that have a
better hope for working.  These people and small NGOs can carry forward any
strategy given to them with great enthusiasm.  They already have weapons
and ammunition (methods that work to grow corals effectively), but they are
misusing them, and so what they really need are for the generals to arise -
those who can agree on comprehensive and workable battle plans and war
strategies. And we need to get young scientists - sergeants in the field,
training, supervising, and monitoring,a dn giving feedback to guide the
troops in the field.   Where are the generals and agreed to battle plans
with which to win this war on the coming coral species extinctions?

I am holding back spilling all the five strategies we are using, and only
publically writing about translocation openly- because that is one that is
so easily grasped.  It should be easy to understand that those corals
surviving at 34-37C each summer will not survive the coming heat waves
if left where they are, because the nearshore locations will get to 38-40C,
so the most heat adapted corals that still exist are in just as much
jeopardy as the less heat tolerant on cooler reefs.  The big question is if
the ocean facing edges of coral reefs are predicted to reach >34-37?   (Man
we could use a sudden 1 meter sea level rise to cool off the nearshore
waters!)

Can local translocation work to preserve enough local genetic diversity in
enough places to reboot coral recovery once humanity gets its act together?
And can this be looked at seriously by those most qualified in the
scientific community, and if determined our best option, (even if
uncertain), can it then become the rallying point for coral focused
adaptation work, using the most cyclone resistant methods already developed
by the restoration community?  Can existing circulation and climate models
be used to predict the coolest reef areas locally at 3.2C warming in 2100?
Can we create diverse gene bank nurseries in those locations,  using the
most bleaching resistant and disease resistant corals?  Can we do N-S and
S-N translocations as well, of the less heat adapted corals, or at least
capture those into a coral biobank on land, to maintain low thermal
tolerance as well, as ice ages may eventually come again?  Can each
genotype in the gene banks be tested for bleaching and disease resistance,
so that we better understand its physiological tolerance and capacity?  Can
the other sorts of breeding and symbiont shuffling and probiotic treatments
etc -that show some promise, as well as the Coral Biobank and 50 Reefs
Initiative be linked as part of this translocation strategy, with the goal
of retaining maximum genetic diversity and adaptability of each coral
species over time, and creating patches of pre-adapted corals in those
locations best predicted to remain more benign in each local system?

Could our coral reef community get behind any of this?   What are your
thoughts?

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
https://www.facebook.com/C4Conservation
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org