[Coral-List] Bleaching

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:54:31 UTC 2022

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the reply and sharing your take on things. It is good that you
still have some hope that what you and others are doing will make a
difference.  If we had thirty years to turn things around, I would agree
with you.  But we don't, not if the IPCC findings are correct- we are
heading right over the cliff of 3.2C by 2100.  Only a derailment might save
us now!  Sorry for this bleak outlook, but I still have hope, so read on.

According to this 3.2C scenario, unless we have massive reductions in
carbon release, the investment solutions that are being applied will not
make any difference to the survival of coral species, nor will just about
every approach presently being taken.  The depth of the crisis is that it
is not confined to an environmental crisis driven by corporate greed... it
is much worse:  ineffective and divisive partisan politics, deep political
corruption, an unjust economic order and extremes of wealth and poverty
driving deforestation and biodiversity collapse even without climate
change, all set within a deeply unjust and racist/ sexist world where those
in power prevent the required positive changes.

The firestorm is heading our way, and we need to change our approach from
creating national parks and banning hunting, as well as planting seedlings
and reforestation of damaged areas.  The time has arrived for evacuating
seedlings and creating seed banks, to secure as much of the diversity as
possible. No more random outplanting in the face of the approaching
firestorm without consideration of bleaching resistance or future
temperature regimes.  So, I have thrown my former beliefs about restoration
out the window, because nearly all of the present work is making the same
mistakes that I did, and so when the mass bleaching events grow stronger,
and the diseases more virulent, most of the progress made may be swept
away.  What looks great now I fear will mostly die.  I hint at this, even
to the point of rudeness, but few really get it - that unless there is a
concerted effort to get behind coral focused coral adaptation, such as
translocation of inner reef, bleaching resistant corals out to cooler
waters, that most of our most heat adapted genets/symbionts will perish as
the water heats up to levels that they can not cope with in the nearshore.

It is urgent that we change some of our mental paradigms based on the
reality presented to us in the IPCC report- 3.2C, more than double the 1.5
pipedream, where 10% of the coral reefs might have been saved.  None of the
presently accepted and widely implemented approaches will save the reefs at
that temperature- NONE.  But that does not mean that there are no options,
and this is what we have been focused on since 2016.   The best option that
I see now is  identification of the bleaching resistant corals, followed by
local translocation from hotter reefs to colder reefs, where future
temperatures will be sublethal.

Kind regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
https://www.facebook.com/C4Conservation
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org