[Coral-List] SCTLD in ballast water

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 20:24:28 UTC 2022

With SCTLD, it is clear that the very survival of multiple coral species in
the Caribbean and potentially all global coral reef systems is at stake.
Can we at least agree on that?  Ballast water has been suspected in the
introduction of all sorts of things, including the Indo Pacific coral
*Tubastraea
micranthus* into the Gulf of Mexico.  If ballast water is indeed the vector
for this disease, then coral reefs over the entire planet are now under an
additional grave threat.

I have always understood that in situations like this, the precautionary
principle of science must be turned on its head.  The precautionary thing
to do right now is to assume that ballast water is the culprit until proven
innocent.   If this disease were a water borne human pathogen with close to
100% mortality, we certainly would be closing down shipping and inspecting
ballast water and looking into the effectiveness of ballast water
purification systems, etc.

If we continue to follow the normal upright precautionary principle of
science (innocent until proven guilty) with regards to this particular
case, and to argue about how there is no definitive proof, then we are
potentially putting coral reefs globally in grave danger.  To have
scientists arguing publicly and debunking the best study that is out there
thus far- a study that adds important information about how the UV
purification systems for ballast water may not be effective, completely
dissipates the focus on finding solutions and answers.  The large
billionaire shipping and cruise line corporations just love these critical
discussions!   On the present trajectory, will transferring the disease to
Hawaii or Australia be the only way we can finally accept the ballast water
hypothesis?

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
https://www.corals4conservation.org
https://youtu.be/FIAkO-hN1SM
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 4:37 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <