[Coral-List] SCTLD cause

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:00:21 UTC 2022

Once again, I strongly encourage those interested in SCTLD to read the vast
peer-reviewed literature published to date on this topic.  There are more
than 85 peer-reviewed manuscripts published so far and numerous white
papers and government reports that are also available.

The journal Frontiers in Marine Science has already published 34
manuscripts on this topic alone and there are more in the queue currently
undergoing review.

Each day we learn more and more about this horrific disease but there is
much we still do not understand. Every piece of the puzzle we put together
- the closer we get to solving the mystery.  We therefore, strongly
encourage anyone doing research on this topic or monitoring reefs impacted
by SCTLD to submit your manuscript to FMS.

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/16501/stony-coral-tissue-loss-disease-in-the-caribbean

If you have any questions you can contact either myself or my co-editors.
Thanks!

Bill

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 7:39 AM Paul Muir via Coral-List <

> Wow, so no Koch's postulates for this disease (ie ability to produce
> disease symptoms in susceptible individuals following a small
> inoculation with a purified disease agent? This is a pretty basic
> requirement in pathology and pointless speculating on causes without this?
> Ideally the disease agent is isolated and cultured to make the inoculum,
> although this is occasionally not possible if the pathogen is tricky to
> culture or loses its pathogenicity during culture. Even producing symptoms
> using a 0.22um filtered crude tissue extract would be informative (ie viral
> vs bacterial agent). Curious why this hasn't been done?
> Ex marine microbiologist/pathologist talking- although very ex!
>
> PAUL
>

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 at 08:28, Kaufman, Leslie S via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > Remember folks- it is at least plausible that SCTLD is not a single
> > pathogen (though several may be involved as triggers), but rather a
> > dysbiosis, or microbiome dysfunction.  Essentially, a cnidarian UTI.

William F. Precht

 “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice
you have”

Bob Marley

"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't
have the strength."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Courage is the foundation of integrity"

Mark Twain