[Coral-List] Advice for a HS student interested in marine biology

Bargar, Timothy A tbargar at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 10 14:45:58 UTC 2022

Hello everybody!

My son is a high school junior who has said he is interested in marine biology (like many others!). He has been randomly looking at what colleges have to offer and focusing on ones that have marine biology programs. My personal view is he should focus on colleges with good biology programs that can give him the base to then focus on a specialty like marine biology, but I can see the benefit of being at a college with both.

We live in Florida and I know there are some good programs in state. What do you recommend regarding (1) focusing initially on colleges with good biology programs, which would open up a larger number of colleges for consideration, and (2) specific colleges.

Thank you!
Tim