[Coral-List] SCTLD in ballast water

Steven L Miller smiller52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:39:21 UTC 2022

Dear Ligia

A quick note in response to your comments about my post. If you want to
continue the discussion, then please contact me directly.

Why am I certain there is no link between SCTLD and the Port Miami
dredge project? That's not what I said. Certainty in science is a rare
thing, especially in ecology. Instead, I said that there's nothing
published that conclusively ties the project to the coral disease. There
are dozens of relevant articles in a recent edition of Marine Frontiers
in Science and dozens more published elsewhere. None link SCTLD to the
dredging project. Good science exists on the subject, and we will learn
more over time.

Regarding your comment about what might be in the canal sediments and
Miami River, dredging did not occur in the canals and river.
Interestingly, the "urban corals" described by Colin Ford are in the
port. They are in excellent condition, including no SCTLD.

Also, the dredging operations that deepened the channel removed mostly
chopped rock and suctioned materials. You may know that some dredge
operations use dynamite to blast the rock. Indeed, earlier phases
(2005-2006) included dynamiting. However, using a cutter-head to chop
rock has a smaller environmental footprint than dynamite. So, while I
can't speak for fish, marine mammals, and sea turtles, I assume dynamite
is not a favorite.

The important question is, "Why do stories continue to show up that link
the Port Miami dredge project to SCTLD – and not part of this thread but
also to killing large numbers of corals?" On the latter, significant
publications conclusively point to SCTLD as killing large numbers of
corals close to the dredging project (including control sites) and
throughout the region, rather than dredging and its plumes. The
literature on coral mortality during the dredging project is maturing.
The outcome is clear and conclusively points to SCTLD as the significant
source. That's not to say that dredging did not kill any corals.
Fortunately, Port Miami included the most comprehensive coral reef
monitoring program ever conducted in association with a dredging
project. It is fair to say that science has prevailed on this topic, not
newspaper headlines.

Dredge projects attract much attention, as they should. However, I think
it's reasonable to point out that these projects are also easy targets.
They look bad, can make big messes, and some have done significant
damage. But each project needs to be evaluated on its merits and risks.
That provides an opening that some environmental groups use to help
raise funds, expand membership lists, and try and slow coastal
development. Unfortunately, we are at a point in the history of our
reefs where a focus on one or two local port expansions takes attention
away from the proximal cause that has killed or will kill our coral
reefs – global warming.

It's important to note that Port Miami and Port Everglades (expansion is
in the planning stages) are found adjacent to habitats with extremely
low coral cover. Specifically, hard bottoms with naturally low coral
cover of a few percent – or less. They are still productive habitats and
ecologically important, but not the same as the iconic locations that
previously described Florida's offshore coral reefs.

Additionally, the seascape-scale changes to Port Miami started about 120
years ago when Government Cut was first dredged.  As a result, the area
is unrecognizable today compared to its natural condition.

Finally, high mitigation costs are associated with dredging projects
based on predicted and documented environmental damage. Therefore, it
matters what killed the corals.

Best Regards

Steven

smiller at nova.edu <mailto:smiller at nova.edu>