[Coral-List] ICRS Code-of-Conduct

Joanie Kleypas kleypas at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 22 23:34:16 UTC 2022

Dear ICRS Members:

Occasionally comments are posted to the Coral-list about the role of the
International Coral Reef Society regarding ethical concerns.  We want to
assure the ICRS membership and beyond that we do take seriously all claims
of misconduct by our members, whether it is reported to us by individuals
or in public media, at least when we are alerted to such claims.

I will make two points here:
(1) A reminder that the ICRS code of conduct is posted here:
https://coralreefs.org/about-icrs/diversity-statement/

(2) When a report of misconduct regards an ICRS member, but is not
associated with a non-ICRS event (e.g., the misconduct occurred at a
person's own institution), we address the issue as a third-party and ICRS
does not conduct its own investigation.  Rather, we file a report to the
home institution of a member who is alleged to have committed the
misconduct and if the home institution conducts an investigation, we act
according to the outcomes of that investigation.

We know these rules can be confusing.  We feel, however, that this process
is the best way to be fair to all parties.

Thank you for practicing your science ethically and for treating your
colleagues fairly.

All the best,
Joanie Kleypas, Vice-president, ICRS and Chair, ICRS Equity, Diversity, and
Inclusion Committee

--
Joanie Kleypas
kleypas at ucar.edu