[Coral-List] tiny crustaceans make light at night in the Caribbean over reefs

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:54:30 UTC 2022

How the sea fireflies of the Caribbean are shining a new light on evolution

Crustaceans called ostracods the size of a sesame seed. A popular article,
fairly long, fascinating story.

"In the Caribbean, the light show takes place underwater. When male
ostracods sense the water is dark enough, they take off from the reef or
seagrass bed where they spend most of their time and begin their display.
Females swim toward the flashes, as do nonflashing males racing to
intercept them."

https://www.science.org/content/article/sea-fireflies-caribbean-shining-new-light-evolution

It appears that this is based on many published papers by many authors.
The article is a popular article, but has no links in it that I can see to
the papers it is based on.  Maybe searching in Google Scholar on the author
named mentioned in the article and some key words of what you are
interested in, will bring up some article citations.

Cheers, Doug
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Coral Reef Consulting
PO Box 997390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799-6298  USA

A pass for polluting? Environmental groups, employees say EPA enforcement
efforts lacking
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-pass-for-polluting-environmental-groups-employees-say-epa-enforcement-efforts-lacking/ar-AAXdYsL

1 in 6 deaths worldwide can be attributed to pollution, new review shows
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/1-in-6-deaths-worldwide-can-be-attributed-to-pollution-new-review-shows/ar-AAXozQh

UN: World on fast track to disaster, but we can avert it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xBVD8r0aHQ