[Coral-List] Carrying Capacities

Angie Brathwaite abrathwaite at blue-finance.org
Mon Aug 29 14:43:55 UTC 2022

Hi All.

I’m a coral ecologist...tasked with determining diver carrying capacities for MPAs, or at the very least ...determining what methodology to use. Interest is from an ecological perspective (not so much diver comfort). I’m looking therefore at Real Carrying Capacity (RCC).

As I delve into this work i’m curious to hear from our coral reef community how such studies are viewed. My starting position was - little merit- and it makes more sense to focus on improving diver skills and awareness than coming up with a number. I’ve seen nothing so far that has changed that stance, but I’m only a quarter of the way through the papers I planned to look at.

Is there anyone working in CC studies that has seen value in determining this number?

Thanks...

Angie Brathwaite