[Coral-List] New Paper on automated tracking of coral larval swimming behavior

Lisa Röpke Lisa.R90 at gmx.de
Mon Dec 12 14:09:19 UTC 2022

   Dear colleagues,
   I would like to draw your attention to the recently published paper
   "Applying behavioral studies to the ecotoxicology of corals: A case
   study on Acropora millepora". In this study, we used the software
   EthoVision (commonly used in behavioral studies of mice or zebrafish
   larvae), to identify coral larval swimming differences (velocity and
   activity) on antifouling-coated tiles. This new method worked well and
   efficient, and could be extremely useful in detecting sublethal stress
   in coral larvae, complementary to other methods. We included a manual
   for the analysis in EthoVision, which can be downloaded here:
   [1]https://github.com/drefeld/CoralLarvaeTracking.git
   Please feel free to have a look at the study here and please share:
   [2]https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2022.1002924/full
   Please contact me in case of further questions.
   Sincerely,
   Lisa Roepke

   Lisa Roepke
   PhD Candidate
   Department: Ecology, Experimental Aquaculture
   Coral ecology & restoration, Anti-Biofouling, Scientific Diving
   Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) GmbH
   Fahrenheitstrasse 6, 28359 Bremen
   Germany
   www.leibniz-zmt.de
   www.facebook.com/leibniz-zmt.de