[Coral-List] Posting a message

Mark Tupper mark.tupper at port.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 13:44:43 UTC 2022

Hi Kate,

Speaking of unpublished sources, there was a workshop on parrotfish
fisheries held in Ocho Rios, Jamaica in 2018. It was sponsored by the
Nature Conservancy. I'm not sure if a report was ever generated from it,
but there were several interesting presentations. I can send you mine, and
I might be able to get copies of others, either from TNC or from Andre Kong
at the Jamaican Dept. of Fisheries.

Best,
Mark

On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 at 12:32, Kate Bailey via Coral-List <

> Dear Coral List ,
>
> I was wondering if I could submit this message -
>

> "Dear colleagues,
>

> We are writing to you to ask if anyone could recommend sources of
> information regarding parrotfish fishing on the Caribbean. We are
> interested in species and group level info, including but not limited to
> the frequency of harvesting, sizes of harvested individuals, gears used,
> and differences within and outside of MPA's, etc.)
>

> We are looking for articles, reports, or thesis, but alternative source of
> information such as social media reports or photographs in which we could
> at least identify the species and the locations is available are welcome.
>

> Also, we wanted to ask if anyone knows of any less
> accessible/local/unpublished information which may be helpful and could
> help us?
>

> You can email us at either katherinecmbailey at outlook.com<mailto:
> katherinecmbailey at outlook.com> or anamlhz at gmail.com<mailto:
> anamlhz at gmail.com>
>

> Thank you for all the support!
>

> Kate Bailey & Ana Molina
>
> Barco Lab, Reef Systems Unit, UNAM"
>
> Let me know if this is okay?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Kate

Dr Mark H Tupper PhD, CFP
Theme Lead - Aquatic Resources Management, Centre for Blue Governance
Course Leader - Msc in Applied Aquatic Biology

Module Coordinator, Fisheries and Aquaculture

Institute of Marine Sciences, School of Biological Sciences

University of Portsmouth, Ferry Road, Portsmouth PO4 9LY

T: +44 (0)23 9284 5082; E: mark.tupper at port.ac.uk
<darren.mernagh at port.ac.uk>

Skype: mark.tupper; Twitter: @reeffishhabitat

Recent publications:

·  Coral reef management in the Arabian Seas. Pp 1041-1071 *In: *Jawad, L
(ed.) *The Arabian Seas: Biodiversity, Environmental Challenges and
Conservation Measures*.
<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030515058> Springer
Nature, Cham, Switzerland

·  Meeting fisheries, ecosystem function, and biodiversity goals in a
human-dominated world. *Science* 368(6488):307-311
<https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6488/307>

· The gravity of human impacts mediates coral reef conservation gains.
*Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences 115(27):E6116-E6125
<https://www.pnas.org/content/115/27/E6116>*

· Bright spots among the world’s coral reefs. *Nature 535:416-419
<https://www.nature.com/articles/nature18607>*

· Evaluating the management effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas at
seven selected sites in the Philippines. *Marine Policy 56:33-42
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308597X15000433?via%3Dihub>*